Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Potato Leek Soup

Last week I made potato leek soup and it was very simple and very delicious.  And let me just say I love soup, I would eat soup everyday for lunch if I could.  But I don't mainly because Jeff does not like soup very much so I have to limit my soup consumption.  I try to make soup about every other week and this recipe has been one of the best soups we have made recently.


The recipe is taken from Simple Recipes, another great cooking site to check out, www.simplerecipes.com . I used a variety of potatoes, red, purple and yukon.  I also added some cream at the very end that gave the soup extra flavor. 

Ingredients

  • 3 large leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts, chop.
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*
  • 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
  • Marjoram - dash
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce
  • Salt & Pepper
*If cooking gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free broth.

Method

1 Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown leeks! Browning will give leeks a burnt taste.
2 Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan. Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste.
Serves 4-6.

 
  
So hopefully you will decide to use this great recipe.
Megan

1 comment:

  1. Great soup Megan!!! We made this last night and thought it was super yummy! I forgot to get cream like you suggested and I am sure it is even more yummy with cream. But, we were quite impressed! Keep posting good looking recipes that we can try!!!!

    ReplyDelete