Sunday, August 8, 2010

Baked French Toast

As promised I am posting the recipe to the baked french toast I made recently. 
This recipe was taken from the wonderful SmittenKitchen

This was a favorite of the meals I cooked while on vacation.  All eight of the adults enjoyed it very much.  It would also be good with a side of fresh fruit or bacon if you choose.  Many said it was similar to bread pudding but not quite as sugary. 

1 loaf supermarket Challah bread in 1-inch slices, no need for the super-fancy stuff here
3 cups whole milk
3 eggs
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2-3/4 cup raisins
1-2 Tbls cinnamon
Maple syrup to top with
Greek Yogurt to top with ( I also put some honey and cinnamon in the yogurt)

1. Generously grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with salted (my choice) or unsalted butter.
2. Arrange bread in two tightly-packed layers in the pan. I always cut one slice into smaller pieces to fill in gaps, especially when using braided Challah. If using a thinner-sliced bread, you might wish for more layers, though I find that over three, even baking can be difficult. If you are using any fillings of fruit or nuts, this is the time to get them between the layers or sprinkled atop.  Between the first and second layer of bread I added in half the almond, raisins and cinnamon.  Then put the second layer of bread in and repeat. 
3. Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, and salt  and pour over the bread.
4. Cover with lid and refrigerate overnight. The bread will absorb all of the milk custard while you sleep.
5. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden. This will take longer if you have additional layers.
6. Cut into generous squares and serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit, powdered sugar or all of the above.

Serves 6 as main course.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!! I've bookmarked the page and I can't wait to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower! That looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete