Monday, September 27, 2010

Veggie Burgers

Finally a food post!  So a week ago or so I found this recipe on how to make garbanzo bean veggie burgers so I made them and they are so good.  And they actually hold up and stick together.  I have made veggie burgers before and they just never stick together or don't taste well or are not filling, but they do all of this.
I took this recipe from Love and Olive Oil



Ultimate Veggie Burger

Makes a lot… halve the recipe for 4 good sized servings.
Recipe from 101 Cookbooks.
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups sprouted garbanzo beans (chickpeas) OR canned garbanzos, drained and rinsed ( I just used beans I cooked myself)
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro I despise cilantro right now, so I used arugula instead this time since I had it on hand, you could also use parsley too.
1 onion, chopped
Grated zest of one large lemon ( if you don't have this, don't worry)
1 cup micro sprouts, chopped (try broccoli, onion, or alfalfa sprouts) I have never had this on hand so I didn't add it and they still taste great
1 cup toasted (whole-grain) bread crumbs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (or clarified butter)
I also added some garlic powder, cayenne pepper, hot sauce and italian seasoning.  I also had a green pepper so I diced it up and added it to the mix.
Directions
If you are using sprouted garbanzos, steam them until just tender, about 10 minutes.
Most of you will be using canned beans, so jump right in and combine the garbanzos, eggs, and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a very thick, slightly chunky hummus. Pour into a mixing bowl and stir in the cilantro, onion, zest, and sprouts.
Add the breadcrumbs, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes so the crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. The mixture should be moist enough to easily form and hold a patty shape. Add more bread crumbs a bit at a time to firm up the dough if need be. Conversely, a bit of water or more egg can be used to moisten the batter. Form mixture into 12 patties.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. Serve on buns topped with avocado, tomato, onion, and more sprouts, if desired. Alternatively, you can make extra-thick patties (1 1/2 inches), and slice them in half after cooking. Put the filling inside the patty, and you have a self-bunning-burger.

So if you are ever in the mood for a homemade veggie burger try these, they are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment