Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homemade Chipotle Burritos


I have been craving Chipotle lately. But I didn't want to go there and spend the money, so I scrounged the internet for some recipes so I could make my own Chipotle burrito at home.

And I was successful.

Generally I get the vegetarian burrito with black beans, guac, corn salsa, tomato salsa, hot salsa, sour cream and lettuce. ( I use to get the meat burritos and I didn't like them, it made me think I didn't like Chipotle but I was wrong, very wrong. I decided to be a vegetarian for most of my undergrad years and tried it again and realized I loved Chipotle, just not their meat.)

So I used this recipe to make their rice, and this one for the guacamole ( and I kid you not, it taste exactly like Chipotle guac.)

Then the corn and tomato salsa was made into one salsa using lime juice, cilantro, red onion, corn (frozen), and fresh cherry tomatoes from our back yard.

Goat milk yogurt was used instead of sour cream. (I often replace sour cream for yogurt, I feel it is healthier. And since I am trying to avoid dairy, people are generally less sensitive to goat milk than cow milk, and I think it is working for Leo's case).

Romaine Lettuce was added.

Black beans were cooked and had some cumin and salt added.

And this salsa was used for the hot salsa. It taste very similar to their salsa.

When assembling the burritos, most of the ingredients were cool or at room temperature, but I made sure to warm up the tortillas so they would wrap better. Then I wrapped each one individually in foil and put them in the refrigerator. I am looking forward to eating these throughout the week either warmed up or cold, I tend to like my Chipotle cold. I think it is only because I can never finish one of their burritos so I always have leftovers and then tend to be cold.

And I think they turned out really well, next time I need to work on my ratios a bit better, more yogurt and guac and corn for sure.

So next time you want Chipotle, try making it yourself, you will be delightfully surprised how good it turns out.


No comments:

Post a Comment