Thursday, September 29, 2011

Naps

So I have a dilemma. And it is nap time.

Currently Leo takes 3-4 naps during the day and the length of the naps varies. Anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, more likely on the 30 minute side. And every. single. nap. is taken on one of us. And most likely in a carrier. Sometime when Jeff picks him up from campus is it nap time so he falls asleep in the car and stays asleep in the car seat once they get home.

But for the majority of his naps they are on someone and if you try and put him down after he falls asleep he wakes right back up.

And I feel like I should be thinking this is a problem, but I really don't. Is that bad? Only every few weeks do I feel that I need to force him to sleep on his own. And I feel since almost all other parents have their kids nap on their own (and there is nothing wrong with that) that I should make my kid do it as well.

But I feel (and know) that eventually he will outgrow this, just like he will outgrow sleeping with us at night (but he does sleep in the bed by himself each night for a few hours prior to us going to bed). And that these times will go by so quickly, why not enjoy it while I can? If this ends up being our only kid, I want to know that I cherished every single moment and day and nap.

And I am doing my best to do that.

So should I feel guilty?

Should I be making him take naps on his own?

Am I creating a monster?


Is there anyone else out there like me?

2 comments:

  1. You can't spoil a baby. If it's not a problem for you or your husband, then I'd let it continue. I never put my son down on his own for naps when I was on maternity leave (12 weeks) and my husband didn't often when he was on break from school for the summer. He get's laid down at day care for naps, but when he falls asleep nursing at bed time, I almost always find myself taking an extra 10 or 20 minutes (or 2 hours) to snuggle him before putting him in his crib. I really miss when he was littler and would nap on my all the time. I'd say cherish it while it lasts.

    There are a million things in parenthood that you will think you "should" do, but it all comes down to what is right for you and your family. Think about when he's 2 and is always on the go, and you're looking back on the time when he was just a baby and loved to snuggle and nap with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nap time has become MY time. The first 4 months of Leila's life she was sleeping on me for naps in the Ergo mostly. Eventually I was able to put her down for naps and I get soooo much done now during nap time. I wouldn't be able to function without it.

    You are the mom, you decide what it best for you:)

    New follower here!
    :)Jen

    ReplyDelete