Monday, October 24, 2011

Food!

About a week ago, we started solids. I had made some purees before hand thinking I was going to be all about purees. But then I started learning more about baby led weaning and decided I like this method better. So we are doing a combination of both methods until we run out of purees. And it really is amazing how well he can feed himself already.

Generally we have one to two types of purees for dinner plus something he can eat with his hands. We are still only doing dinner unless he screeches for some food when I am eating lunch, then I just give him something to eat with his hands to occupy him. I really don't know when to add more daily meals or when to add more food to those meals. Any advice?

So far he has had:
Purees:
Butternut squash
Carrot/sweet potatoes
Plums/pluots

Self-feed:
Toast
Quinoa
Chunky Applesauce (lunch time go to, I mean we know how much this kid loves apples)
Green Beans
Avocado (this wasn't very easy to eat since it was so slippery)

So far he has liked everything, there is nothing he refused to eat. Each time he gets something new, he gets the typical yucky face, but just has to adjust to the texture and taste and is fine after a couple of bites.

And each week we will try to add in a couple more foods. I am also going to try and just set aside parts of our meals (without added spices), so that I am not going out of my way to make him food. I really want to avoid him eating something different than us, so that when he has a 'choice' his only choice is our dinner and he will be fine with that.

Currently he eats two frozen cubes of puree each night, again I don't know when and how much to increase. And for this coming week of dinners, I steamed some butternut squash, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower, it is a big batch so I am sure Jeff and I will be eating some as well.

Eating with a spoon, whenever you give him purees, he must help with putting the spoon in his mouth:

Daddy giving him one of his first bites:

I am going to try and get a good video of him feeding himself sometime. It is pretty amusing to watch.

2 comments:

  1. Megan I use the following sites as a guide.

    http://www.babycenter.com/0_age-by-age-guide-to-feeding-your-baby_1400680.bc

    http://www.babysleepsite.com/schedules/9-month-old-baby-schedule/

    Both tend to be good references. Ashley is in between the 8 and 9 month old eating amounts and I think it is perfect. she seems VERY content after each solid/BM session.
    I just can't wait for her to get teeth!

    Hopes this helps and can't believe he's 6 months already! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at him. He looks so happy with his food. Such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete