Monday, November 7, 2011

He knows what he wants.

So remember that post where I talked about how I was still rocking my baby to sleep for every nap?

Yea, that ended this weekend. But not because of me. On Friday, Leland decided he was not going to sleep on me when I tried to rock him to sleep, instead he would throw a fit, cry and arch his back. This meant Leland only took two 30 minute naps on Friday, but he was surprisingly happy for that. The first one was while grocery shopping, he passed out in the ergo. The second one was in the car.

So come Saturday, we tried this method (rocking to sleep) one last time to only have it fail. The only other option was putting him in his crib. I made sure he was feed and happy, gave him his blanket and binkie and shut the door. We turned the baby monitor on to listen for screaming, but it never came. We also had to deal with a bad kitty, that kept trying to open the damn door, very obnoxious.

And I am so thankful for this, sure it took him a bit to fall asleep, but he didn't cry at all. There was just a bit of fussing, his tired fussing, and there was sighing (this kid knows how to sigh), but no crying. I don't think I could handle the crying, which is why we waited so long to do this method of napping. Crying it out just isn't for us, but I can totally see the need for it if your kid just won't go to sleep any other way.

So I guess he knew what he wanted, we just had to figure it out.

And so for his three naps on Saturday we followed this routine, and they were all successful, meaning no crying and falling asleep by himself. Sunday morning when he was getting tired, I did the same and he actually fell asleep while I was feeding him (he does this when he goes to sleep at night), but he slightly woke back up when I put him in his crib. But no worries, it just took some sighing and binkie and he was asleep in no time.

Now I don't know what to do with my free time.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww; what a good boy! I'm glad for your sake he made the transition to being able to put himself to sleep so easily. Tell him to slow down on that growing up though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put E down for her evening cat nap and it was brutal. I always pick her up from the sitter, we come home, she takes a 30-45 minute nap. Everyday! Today she was tired, I put her in her crib, and she screamed for ten minutes. I didn't know what to do. I knew she was tired and needed to nap. I said ten minutes would have been my limit and luckily she was asleep before then. I was almost in tears!

    ReplyDelete