Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Full night sleep

It is official.  Leland is night weaned, after 19 months of nursing when he pleased at night (also known as the after hours breastfeeding cafe).

Leland was sick last week and must have been really tired and not feeling well because two nights in a row he didn't nurse until morning.  Like sun shining morning, not 4 am morning.  So I quickly pounced on that and didn't look back.

I didn't want to push him into night weaning, I wanted it to be more on his end.  But seeing that he really could do it, made me realize he needed just a bit of a nudge from me.

The third night, he was feeling better and wanted that 4 am feeding back.  Instead I gently told him "no milk right now" and rolled over and fell back asleep.  He wasn't so keen on falling back asleep but after some crying he got the message quickly.  It wasn't too bad on my part because it was 4 am and I was tired, so I was pretty out of it during the crying.  The next couple of nights he continued to wake up say "mama" and sign milk, but minimal crying happened.  I continued to say "no milk right now".

Now I can see the light.  Or I am just getting plenty of continuous sleep.

We are now down to three nursings a day- wake up, nap time and bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment