Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bike Riding and other memories


I love doing something that reminds me of old times.
For example, I have a very fond memory of riding my bike during college on summer nights.  The air is cool and feels great after a hot day, I have most likely had a couple of drinks but I am just happy. The wind hitting my face and the strain in my legs is one of the best feelings.

When the weather is right and I am on my bike, I remember those times and it makes me smile.  When it is a around 60 degrees and the sun is setting while I am riding my bike, my brain feels pure bliss.

There is are other memories that often come to my mind.
- Walking in cow field behind my house, and crossing or wading in the creek.
- Laying in the back of my dad's pickup on a cool summer night searching for a spot to watch the stars

I often think that the reason these particular memories stick with me, is they helped make me the person I am today.  A person that loves the environment and being outside.  I think these moments were the start of my environmentalism, I just didn't know it until I went to college and decided to join the environmental club.

I hope that I can provide the right environment for Leland to have fond memories of his childhood as well.  Memories that will make him realize what life is about or help him define himself later on.  I think we are already on the right path with limited screen time and being outside when the weather is nice.  But I guess we won't know until another 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment