Monday, April 8, 2013

The Meaning of Time


Time has changed since becoming a parent.  I have a hard time understanding time in the constraints we put on it.  A year, a month, a week, a day.  It almost has no meaning.  I feel like 2013 just started, it probably doesn't help that January and February seem to have been misplaced in my brain.  I was having a conversation with someone yesterday and they said something about September and how long ago it was, I was very confused by this thinking that it was currently January.  Meaning September was only three months ago instead of seven.  Only several minutes later I realized it is April, whoa.

Thinking about this time last year (April 2012), it seems lifetimes ago.  At that point Leland wasn't  quite walking or talking and I was still in grad school.

I can't even comprehend that last sentence.

But thinking about my time in grad school itself is logical or placing time in Leland's developments is comprehendible.   The time Leland was a newborn or crawling or walking or talking.  That is much better for my momma brain.  But those stages of time seem very spread out and not following each other sequentially.

Is this just me?  Or do other people/parents have a hard time understand time with children?

1 comment:

  1. This is something I've been thinking about lately. I was looking at a post from a year ago-- Liam didn't have any hair and he definitely wasn't walking yet. In some ways it seems like forever ago. At the same time, it's hard for me to comprehend the fact that he'll be two in just a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete